‘The People versus Carmichael’ – not an SNP plot – official!!!

365805-alistair-carmichael-mp-for-orkney-and-shetland
No nationalist plot against Carmichael

One of the odder bits of being involved in ‘the People versus Carmichael’ is the idea fixed in the minds of many who disagree with us that we are an SNP plot. It is very odd to watch speculation about our motives.

Now, I should know  what is happening because my name is on the court action – it is listed under my name in all the paper work.

I am a member of the SNP and proud to be so – there are over 100,000 of us in Scotland, and like about 50% of the population I support independence but this does not make me a plotter.

There is no conspiracy.

No secret funds are coming to us (if only and please!).

No one is giving us orders.

I am the only member of the party amongst the four petitioners. One of us is a Green who is getting pretty mad about being mistaken as a Nat, the others are Labour Supporters (I think).

The idea that we are conspirators is a fascinating one – it seems that many commentators cannot believe that non-politicians can be so angry about something like this – and certainly not people who are from remote island communities who must be all naive or stupid.

Speaking for myself, my anger is not manufactured  but real. I am angry that any politician should use dishonest tactics, irrespective of their party. That so many think this is acceptable shows how bankrupt much of our public life has become. We are pursuing Carmichael because he is our MP and only his constituents are allowed to do so. The byre gets cleaned up one stall at a time and starting where we are.

Our supporters are drawn from all sections of the political spectrum – many, many are Liberal Democrats who feel betrayed by a man who has himself said that what he has done is dishonest. That is what all this is about – nothing else.

We are four residents of Orkney, voters, no more and no less. That is enough.

11 thoughts on “‘The People versus Carmichael’ – not an SNP plot – official!!!

1. Neil McEvoy September 8, 2015 / 5:41 am

Is there a petition anywhere calling for Carmichael to resign? I’d like to sign it.

Liked by 2 people

• The Vole September 8, 2015 / 10:18 am

One was got up by 38 Degrees and got over 12,000 signatures

Liked by 1 person

• Lying Nationalists November 11, 2015 / 10:40 pm

Honestly, how stupid do you think people are?

All it takes is a search of Google to uncover each petitioners links to nationalist websites.

This is a witch hunt.

Welcome to the Scottish Third Reich.

• The Vole November 11, 2015 / 10:46 pm

Read the evidence when it comes out – We have made no secret about our politics – no need for us to hide them because we have done nothing wrong. I am an SNP voter. It is a matter of record that Fiona Grahame is a Green. The person who has lied here is Alistair Carmichael – his defence is that he lied to influence a General Election and tried to keep the focus on a story that he knew was untrue. He even tried to mislead the Cabinet Inquiry.

Liked by 1 person

2. miriam September 8, 2015 / 10:50 am

good comment – I was labour in my youth, then liberal since living in Orkney for 35 years, but now have joined the greens in order to support Scottish independence whilst abiding by my other political principles (i.e. not SNP which is too centralist for my liking). Despite feeling personal liking and friendship and support for Alistair, and even more strongly for his wife and sons, I do think he should resign (or preferably to have come clean before not after the election – he might still have won which if so would have been fine as the democratic process would not have been corrupted as it has been through his actions). I now feel disenfranchised as a voter and citizen as I no longer can recognise him as my legitimate MP and therefore do not feel I can approach him as a constituent. When causes close to my heart such as for Syrian refugees ask me to email my MP I can’t comply as I don’t feel I have one at present…. Rightly or wrongly, at this moment this feels to me more important than personal friendship, although I do feel very ‘conflicted’

3. Jan Cowan September 8, 2015 / 2:38 pm

Do you have the funds to cover the case so far?

• The Vole September 8, 2015 / 8:48 pm

The blunt answer is that we don’t know – we know we can cover what our side has spent but we have no control over what the others have done – and they seem to have been pulling out the big guns ….

• Brizee September 8, 2015 / 10:47 pm

I’m by no means a wealthy man but if you say you need more, I (and I’m sure many others) will chip in to make it viable to pursue this action. If I could help more directly I would do so gladly but from down in Dundee, can only look on and hope you guys get the outcome you deserve.

Think it’s plain to see how farcical it is to, on one hand say you believe decent minded individuals would give Carmichael a second chance and then on the other hand to spend money ensuring that they don’t get the opportunity to decide for themselves. I trust the people and that’s why I’m not letting them decide.

Regardless of political affiliation it should be abundantly obvious this is simply not a healthy way of doing things and needs challenged. So all the best!

• Jan Cowan September 9, 2015 / 9:44 am

When and if you do need more everyone will come in behind you. Here’s to a successful outcome!

4. Ronnie Anderson September 9, 2015 / 3:26 pm

I am not a member of any political party. I am incencsed at the Lies Carmichael told & the attempts to cover it up. Thank God their are People amongst the Electorate, that put their heads above the parapet to say Enough is Enough,from Political Representatives seeking our votes,of any & all political parties.

Well Done Lads N Lassies. We continue to support You,s all the way.

Liked by 1 person

5. David Patrick December 9, 2015 / 12:29 pm

Dear Orkney Vole

I read the court judgement earlier today, and immediately logged in to Indiegogo to make a further donation to your costs. I am sure that many thousands will be doing the same thing to make sure that you are not personally out of pocket.

Well done on bringing things this far. Forcing Carmichael to admit in court – on oath – all of the untruths that he told was more than anyone could have dared to imagine at the outset of this case, and I am certain that the good people of Orkney and Shetland will judge him appropriately if he chooses to stand at the next election.

As far as I can see, his chances of re-election are now virtually nil.